When a doctor wants to call in a prescription drug for you, you may decide to give them the information for the Walgreens nearest you. You aren’t alone – in fact, Walgreens pharmacies nationwide fill more than 2 billion prescription medication requests a year – and that includes those for brand name and generic medications.
While many people are tempted to ask for cash prices to get a discount, that isn’t always the best approach when it comes to drug prices at Walgreens. Because of the way Walgreens organizes its prices, you may end up paying a higher price for medication at Walgreens. Which leads us to the question: Does Walgreens accept prescription discount cards?
So, Does Walgreens Accept Prescription Discount Cards?
The answer is yes, Walgreens makes it possible for you to save up to 80% on your prescription orders. You can do this by using discount cards, or in some cases, by using the Walgreens pharmacy prescription discount program.
These savings cards can be used at Walgreens – or any other pharmacy – to realize savings of up to 80%.
Let’s take a look at how you can get Walgreens’ prescription savings.
Using Third-Party Prescription Discount Cards
Third-party prescription discount cards, like myRxMedSaver, are a great way to get generous discounts on prescriptions from Walgreens. These cards help you when you have insurance by determining whether it’s less expensive to pay a copay or for the medication. And they help those who pay cash to find the place that sells the medication at the lowest cash price. They will also give you up to 80% off the price of prescription drugs.
As a consumer, you will have a few options as to which type of discount card you use.
Here are some of your options.
One third-party prescription discount card you should pay attention to is the myRxMedSaver card. This savings card is accepted at Walgreens. This discount card is different from others because it not only saves you money at checkout but also helps you understand the most affordable way to pay for your prescription.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit the myRxMedSaver Co-Pay program. If you have insurance, this handy tool will show you where you can find the lowest price on the prescription drug you need. Simply type the name of the drug into the tool, and it will show you where you find it at the best price when paying with insurance.
- If you don’t have insurance, you can go to the myRxMedSaver Retail Price Engine. Once there, type in the name of the medication and your location, and the price engine will show you where you can find it for the lowest price.
- From the website, you can either print out or text yourself a discount card.
- You can also download the myRxMedSaver discount card app so you will have your card and all of your information with you at all times. You can simply show the pharmacy technician the app with your card when purchasing medication.
The card is free to use and can save you up to 80% off your prescription medications. It’s also accepted in more than 35,000 stores across the nation.
2. Walgreens Prescription Savings Club
If you would rather pay for your prescription discount program, you can sign up for Walgreens’ Prescription Savings Club. It will cost you $20 a year, and, according to Walgreens, it includes discounts on more than 8,000 brand-name and generic medications, although the program leans heavily toward generic medications. You can also pay $35 a year for a family membership.
Some of the perks of this pay-to-use program are:
- A 5% to 20% discount on many immunizations.
- A discount on medications that are preventative and used for lifestyle issues. Insurance policies don’t always cover these types of medications. You will also get discounts on diabetic supplies when you have a prescription, along with nebulizers, pet prescriptions, and compound medications.
- A 10% discount when you use the Walgreens Healthcare Clinic. This is a great way to get Walgreens’ medical advice.
- A 10% discount when you purchase Walgreens’ brand items and in-store photos.
Keep in mind that with this membership, you will have to renew it and pay the membership fee every year.
How Do I Use a Prescription Discount Card at Walgreens?
Using a coupon card at Walgreens is simple – you only have to follow a few steps. To use a prescription discount card, you should:
- Ask the pharmacy technician to add your prescription discount card to your profile by showing the code or number on the card or from the mobile app.
- Even if you have an insurance copay, ask the technician to use the card to find out if you can save more by using the card instead of using your insurance.
- If you plan to pay cash for your prescription, ask the technician if you can lower the price by using your prescription discount card.
- Choose the lowest price option and pay for your prescription.
Are You Ready to Start Saving on Prescriptions?
Prescription medication can be costly, so it only makes sense to do all you can to lower the prices. That’s true whether you have insurance or you are a pay-as-you-go customer.